Being a broke college student isn’t easy. With prices of everyday items increasing and the value of the ringgit low, you’re probably finding cheaper alternatives to save some money.
But what if we told you that there’s a way you could save more, simply by being a student? All you need is your student ID — it entitles you to a slew of benefits, including discounts and cheaper rates.
Piqued your interest? Let’s find out where you can save your money just by showing off your student ID like a badge of honour!
#1. Travel on public transport for half the price
Are you someone who doesn’t have a car at your disposal and can’t stomach Grab’s surge pricing during peak hours?
Luckily for you, students are eligible for huge discounts on public transport.
Rapid KL, which services LRT, MRT, Monorail and Rapid KL buses, and KTM offer concession cards for students whenever you travel using their services. With Rapid KL, you can get a 50% discount off fares with their MyRapid Concession Card. As for KTM, fares for KTM Intercity and ETS trains are 40% off with the KTMi-Card, which also entitles you for discounts at Sunway Lagoon.
Both have annual fees but if you’re a frequent traveller, it’s well worth it!
#2. Get discounted eats at selected restaurants
Being a broke college student doesn’t mean you have to live on grass and water. Your wallet will thank you when you flash your student ID at these F&B outlets where students can dine at a cheaper price:
- Kenny Rogers: 25% off from 2pm to 6pm on weekdays
- Bar B Q Plaza: 20% off their set menus, before 5pm
- Tony Roma’s: Discounted prices for set meals from 3pm to 6pm on weekdays
- Fish & Co.: Student meal fares on weekdays
- Sunny Queen: 10% off daily ala carte menu all day long
- Nene Chicken: 10% off your meals
- Chaiwalla & Co Container Cafe: 10% off all drinks, Monday to Friday only
Even though a restaurant may not specifically state that student discounts are available, there’s no harm in asking since you’ll never know. After all, even a 10% discount can stretch your ringgit further!
#3. Kick back and chill for cheap
If you are feeling stressed and overwhelmed by the pressures of college, you’d be glad to hear that there are plenty of things that you can do around the city at a discount:
- Catch the latest blockbusters: Student rates are available at MBO Cinemas for all movies before 6pm on weekdays
- Sing your heart out at karaoke joints: Redbox and Loud Speaker offer special student rates for selected hours
- Soothe your artistic soul: Student discounts are available at the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra and Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre (klpac) for selected shows
- Get your adrenaline pumping: Race on a go-kart at the Sepang International Kart Circuit, knock down some bowling pins at Sunway Mega Lanes or escape a locked room at Breakout — all at cheaper rates!
#4. Get great deals for electronics and telco plans
We all know the feeling of being disconnected from our devices for longer than 10 minutes — it’s not a pleasant one. Luckily, the perks of being a student also include getting great deals for phone plans, electronics and more!
- Phone plans: Celcom offers youths under 25 the Xpax Youth plan, where you get 50% more internet on any plan you sign up for
- Laptops and electronics: An absolute must-have to fulfil your gaming education needs, Apple and Microsoft offer solid student discounts
- Specialised software: Adobe offers a 60% discount for their Creative Cloud, Microsoft offers Office 365 for free (or the full features at a discount) while Autodesk has you covered with free design and engineering software
#5. Get healthy and fit
For the gym buffs who are unable to bear the hefty membership price at premium fitness clubs, there are cheaper alternatives where you can pump all the iron to your heart’s content!
Consider your university’s gym facilities for a small fee, which you can access at your own convenience before or after classes. Alternatively, if you don’t fancy getting into a competition with your friends on the treadmill, you can also consider signing up for memberships at Blitz Gym or The Outlaw, with discounts up to 17% depending on which plan you choose.
When it comes to living the student life, it certainly pays to be as frugal as possible in order to save some money. However, this doesn’t mean you can’t have fun and enjoy yourself. Thanks to the mighty student card, you can now save for a rainy day and enjoy life at the same time.
So don’t forget to break out the good ol’ student ID and flash away!