Top Questions to Ask an Education Counsellor Before Choosing a College
An education counsellor is every student’s best friend. Here are some ways an education counsellor can help you resolve your college planning dilemmas.
Updated 15 Jan 2020
As you sit for hours deliberating what and where to study, you may find yourself confused with the plethora of options laid out before you. Maybe what you need is a helping hand to steer you in the right direction!
That’s why a counsellor is every student’s best friend! Here are some ways an education counsellor can help you resolve the dilemmas that fog up your mind.
#1. Which course is suitable for me?
If you’ve been doing some research about your education options, you may have discovered careers outside of the traditional jobs of doctor, lawyer and engineer. Widening the roads of your journey is a good thing — but it could also throw you into indecision.
Instead of racking your brains deciphering what each job entails, seek guidance from an education counsellor. Counsellors have access to a wide range of resources to help you understand the different courses offered by universities. They are also able to suggest study pathways in your field of interest, so don’t be shy to ask!
Some key questions to ask about course selection include:
- What courses are suitable based on my grades/strengths?
- I enjoy (creative arts/working with people/dealing with numbers/etc.). What courses can you recommend based on my interests?
- Can you tell me more about this course? What subjects will I study?
- What is the best foundation/pre-university programme for this degree?
- Do I meet the entry requirements for this course? If not, what other related courses can I explore?
- What kind of career opportunities are available for this degree?
- Will I need to pursue a postgraduate degree to progress in this field?
DID YOU KNOW
Established in 2014, EduAdvisor has helped thousands of students choose the right course for them. Click here to speak to our education counsellors.
#2. Which college/university should I choose?
With hundreds of colleges and universities, narrowing down to “The One” can be a tedious process.
Education counsellors have the benefit of working with a range of universities, enabling them to give you credible information about multiple institutions based on their experience and feedback from past students. They also have insights on things like campus environment, public transport and accommodation, as they would have likely visited the universities themselves.
Make sure to ask some of these questions on college selection:
- Which universities do most students choose to go to for this course?
- What courses is this university most known for?
- What is the focus of the curriculum at this university? What electives are offered? Is there an internship component?
- Does this university offer student exchange or study abroad programmes?
- (For courses that have professional recognition) Is this degree recognised or accredited by the professional bodies? Are there any exemptions for professional papers?
- What support services (e.g. job placement services, counselling services) and facilities (e.g. sports centres, gym) are available at this university?
- Are there any Open Days coming up for this university?
DID YOU KNOW
EduAdvisor is an official partner to many universities across Malaysia. We have direct access to the admissions teams, ensuring your application is given priority. Click here to speak to our advisors.
#3. What scholarships and financial aid are available?
Scholarships can be the golden ticket to college — but they can be hard to secure. Why crack your head when counsellors have done most of the homework for you?
Education counsellors can recommend the best scholarships for you based on your results and background, depending on whether you’re a head prefect, a state swimmer or a Bantuan Sara Hidup (BSH) recipient. Additionally, they can also help you with course fee comparison based on your budget after factoring in scholarships and eligible financial aid.
Here are some questions related to scholarships and financial aid:
- What scholarships are available based on my results and background?
- What is the criteria for me to maintain my scholarship?
- What are the deadlines for the scholarships?
- Is this course eligible for PTPTN?
- What other financial aid am I eligible for?
- What is the estimated total cost for the entire course, including all the miscellaneous fees?
- Is there any application fee waiver? (sometimes available during Open Days)
#4. What do I need to do for my college application?
There’s always a lot of anticipation and excitement once you’ve decided the right institution to pursue your studies. After all, it’s a stepping stone to your future career.
Education counsellors can help you with the entire application process to ensure that you don’t miss out anything important.
Here are some things to check with your education counsellor once you’ve made a decision:
- Can you walk me through the application process?
- What documents do I need to prepare for my application?
- When is the best time for me to submit my application?
- How much is the registration fee?
- How much do I need to prepare for my first semester?
- What’s next after submitting my application?
- When is my orientation? Can you share with me the schedule?
With years of experience in enrolling students, you can apply for college seamlessly by speaking to our counsellors. Click here to speak to our education advisors now.
It’s a no brainer that speaking to an education counsellor provides you with the personal space to ask all the questions you have about courses, universities, scholarships and more. So, reach out to one for a helping hand!