- Ranked 14th in the UK for English in the Subject League Table 2023, The Complete University Guide
- The only university in Malaysia that provides BA and MA in Creative Writing taught by award-winning local and international writers and academic staff
- Offers a wide range in studying the English language, from in-depth linguistic analysis to explorations of English literary works like Victorian literature
- Enhance your writing skills by learning to write both poetry and fiction alongside learning Malaysian literature in English
- Academic Community
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Studying Literature
- The Influence of English
- The Survey of English Literature and Drama
- Discourse and Society
- Language, Gender, and Sexuality
- Literary Linguistics
- Modern and Contemporary Literature
- Victorian and Fin de Siecle Literature
- World Literatures in English
- Modern British Fiction since 1950
- Patterns, Functions, and the Description of English
- Shakespeare and His Contemporaries on the Stage
Typical optional modules:
- English Dissertation
- Malaysian English
- Malaysian Literature in English
- A Level: BBB, excluding critical thinking and general studies.
- IB Diploma: 30 points with 5,5,5 at Higher Level.
- STPM: BBB, excluding Pengajian Am.
- UEC: 2 As and 3 B3s, excluding Bahasa Malaysia and Chinese language.
- SAM or other Australian matriculations: ATAR 86 (consideration to be made based on relevant subjects).
- Canadian Ontario Grade 12 Secondary School Diploma (OSSD): 79% average based on 6 subjects (consideration to be made based on relevant subjects). Canadian Secondary School Diplomas from other provinces are acceptable and to be assessed based on the University's requirements.
- Advance Placement (AP): 4, 4, 4 in relevant subjects.
- Diploma - Other Institutions: Acceptance to the second year is on a case-by-case basis (and at the discretion of the School) but normally would require an overall GPA of 3.30 out of 4.0 and above, including good grades in relevant subjects.
- Foundation - Other Institutions: Acceptance is at the discretion of the School but normally would require an overall GPA of 3.30 out of 4.0 and above, including good grades in relevant subjects.
- University of Nottingham Malaysia Foundation: Successful completion of the Foundation in Arts and Education programme.
- IELTS (Academic): 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in each element)
- TOEFL (iBT): 87 (minimum 20 in Speaking and 19 in all other elements)
- PTE (Academic): 71 (with no less than 65 in each element)
- GCE A Level English Language or English Literature: Grade C
- GCE AS Level English Language or English Literature: Grade C
- SPM: Grade A-
- GCSE O Level: Grade C/4
- IGCSE (first language): Grade C/4
- IGCSE (second language): Grade B/6
- MUET: Band 4.5
- UEC: Grade A2
- IB English A1 or A2 (Standard or Higher Level): 4 points
- IB English B (Higher Level): 4 points
- IB English B (Standard Level): 5 points
IELTS, TOEFL and PTE (Academic) test results must be less than 2 years old and all IELTS must be the academic version of the test. MUET results are valid for five years from the date of the release of results.