Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Heriot-Watt was established in 1821 and was the world’s first mechanics institute
It is a world leader in the fields of Engineering, Business and Psychology
Students are guaranteed campus transfers to the UK and Dubai
#1. About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia is a private university in Malaysia. It is a branch campus of Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland, which has a history dating back to 1821 where it was the world’s first mechanics’ institute.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia was established in September 2014 in Putrajaya, about 25km away from Kuala Lumpur.
The campus is built on a vast 4.8 acres, with an impressive lakeside location with modern leisure and sporting facilities. Its exciting ‘green campus’ features a living grass roof, the first of its kind in Malaysia, shading the naturally-ventilated spaces below. Other environmentally-friendly design features include a rainwater harvesting system and optimised air-conditioning and thermal control systems.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia offers Foundation, Undergraduate and Postgraduate studies across various fields, including Actuarial Science, Accounting and Finance. They are world leaders in the field of Engineering, Business and Psychology.
Under Heriot-Watt University Malaysia’s Go Global programme, students have the opportunity to become global students by taking part in an Inter-Campus Transfer to its UK or Dubai campuses at any time during their studies and also choose to graduate there. They have guaranteed placements for all of the university’s programmes, so long as the programme is offered where they wish to transfer.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Ranking & Reputation
Heriot-Watt has established an excellent reputation for its quality of education over the years, performing consistently in world university rankings. It is ranked 302nd in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2019. The university is also ranked 9th in the UK for research impact.
As for the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2019, Heriot-Watt is ranked 37th in the world and 13th in the UK for their international outlook. The score is based on the percentage of the university’s international staff, the level of international co-authorship of academic papers and the percentage of international students studying at the university.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia’s programmes are developed to match the industry’s needs and equips students to become industry-fit graduates and postgraduates. As a testament to the university’s healthy track record, 95% of its students find employment or further their studies within six months of graduation.
#2. Why Choose Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Programmes are designed to be highly relevant to the working world, encouraging practical application of knowledge through project work
Students can transfer to the university’s UK or Dubai campuses at any time during their studies and also choose to graduate there
Centre Of Excellence
Heriot-Watt University offers a plethora of Undergraduate and Postgraduate studies and are world leaders in the field of Engineering, Business and Psychology
Popular Courses at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia is located in the township of Putrajaya that’s situated 25km away from Kuala Lumpur. The campus is built near a 1,600-acre lake with green spaces and stunning architecture surrounding it, making it a very conducive learning environment.
Various modern leisure and sporting facilities are available, with a freshwater sandy beach that’s just 5 minutes away from the campus!
- Public Transport: Buses and KLIA Express connects the city centre to Putrajaya Sentral, which is connected by Heriot-Watt’s shuttle buses.
- Shuttle Buses: Regular shuttle bus service linking the campus and student accommodation is available, for free. Other nearby locations are serviced as well.
- Parking: Basement car park is available for the convenience of students.
(a) Off-campus Accommodation
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia has several accommodation options for you to choose from, all of which are off-campus and located at Cyberjaya, approximately 10 to 15 minutes drive away. There is a free shuttle bus service connecting all student residences to the campus.
The following student accommodation available are:
- Kanvas Soho: An affordable studio apartment available for single or sharing with 24-hour security while each unit comes with an attached bathroom and student-oriented furniture. Students can enjoy quick access to nearby amenities including groceries store, laundrette service, bus stand and food outlets within 5-10 minutes of leisure walk.
- Shaftsbury Stellar Cyberjaya: Located in the heart of Cyberjaya, this is an exclusive and private residence with 24-hour security and each unit comes with an attached bathroom and are fully furnished. The residence is located nearby shops, restaurants and universities.
- Shaftsbury RYO Putrajaya: This serviced apartment is connected to the mall and comes with 24-hour security. Each unit comes with an attached bathroom and are fully furnished. The building is connected to the Shaftsbury Putrajaya Shopping Mall with food and beverage outlets located at the lobby level.
All residences are furnished with basic amenities (bed, wardrobe, refrigerator, etc.), air-conditioning, ceiling fans and wifi. Communal facilities like swimming pools, gyms and cafeterias are also available.
#5. Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Scholarships
Here are some of the scholarships offered by Heriot-Watt University Malaysia.
|Name of Scholarship||Study Area||Key Highlights||Deadline|
|Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Foundation High Achiever's Scholarship (HAS)||Foundation in Business, Foundation in Science||- Minimum of 7As & above at SPM|
- Up to 35% tuition fee waiver
|Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Undergraduate High Achiever's Scholarship (HAS)||Actuarial Science, Accounting, Business, Engineering, Psychology, Quantity Surveying||- Minimum AAB at A-Level / STPM or ATAR 85|
- Up to 35% tuition fee waiver
|Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Alumni Discount||Business, Engineering, Sciences, Project Management, Psychology, Quantify Surveying||- Postgraduate studies only|
- For Heriot-Watt University alumni
- 20% tuition fee waiver
|Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Family Discount||Actuarial Science, Accounting, Business, Engineering, Psychology, FIB, FIS, Quantity Surveying||- For students who have parents, spouses and siblings who are alumni of Heriot-Watt University|
- 10% tuition fee waiver
|Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Women in Engineering Scholarship||Engineering||- Minimum of 2A 1B in A-Level|
- 100% or 50% tuition fee waiver
- Interview required